tiistai 20. syyskuuta 2016

My Framed Minnesota 2.0


Updated 7.1.2017.

I got back into mountain biking, after a 15 years hiatus, when I moved to Minnesota and saw a fatbike for the first time. I wanted to try one, but didn't want to spend 1500$ on a Pugsley or a Mukluk before knowing whether I still liked riding trails. Luckily when I really started looking for a bike in early 2014 Framed had just introduced its Minnesota series that cut the price of an entry level fat-bike in half. I bought the bike after my first test ride, but had to wait for a month until I got my ride. Pretty soon I was sure that I, not only like, but love riding fat. Over the years I've tried other bikes that are two or three times more expensive than my Framed MN 2.0, but haven't noticed a real difference. Only when I tried my friend's carbon Salsa Beargrease with carbon rims, I could immediately feel that I was riding a different kind of a beast (that setup must be around 4000$). I've been slowly upgrading my MN 2.0 instead of buying a new bike.

I do all my maintenance and assembly myself, sometimes with a little help from my friends. So here's my current setup.

Original Vee Rubber Mission.
Upgraded Surly Bud.

The first upgrade getting rid of the original Vee Rubber Mission tires. They had a lot of self steer and very little traction. I first upgraded my front tire to Surly Bud, and the difference was enormous. I could ride into corners much harder, but now the problem was that I started losing traction in the rear. Since the MN 2.0 has clearance only for a 4" tire in the rear, I couldn't pair the Bud with its usual companion Lou. I had heard good things about 45NRTH Vanhelgas, and decided to give it a shot. Haven't been disappointed with that choice either. I changed the tire in winter time and could climb up snowy hills that I couldn't even dream of climbing with the Mission in the rear. I've been happy with that setup ever since.
45NRTH Vanhelga, Shimano XT derailleur and E*13 extender.
When I broke my derailleur in June 2015 I decided to convert the Sram X5/X7 2*9 drive-train into a 1X setup. I changed into Shimano XT 1*10 and extended the standard 11-36 cassette with an E*13 42t extension cog. It worked just fine for a month but one time I was shifting under heavy pressure and bent a tooth (see below). I switched to Sun Race MX3 11-42 cassette, and I'm more than happy with it.

E*13 extended range cog, with a bent tooth.
New Sun Race 11-42 cassette.

In the front I'm relying on Raceface, with Evolve cranks and bottom bracket and a 32t narrow/wide chainring. I ride with flat pedals, but have upgraded to Framed Alaskan pedals.

Raceface Evolve cranks and Framed Alaskan pedals.
All of the above are just cosmetic changes. The one upgrade that really changed my bike for the better was the new Kustomcaps "pain" cap. Oh, and the new red cable housings.
Kustomcaps "pain" and red cable housing (I've now changed the brake cable housings also).
Update 7.1.2017. Winters in Helsinki tend to be icy. Temperatures constantly go from below to above freezing and back. I got a pair of studdable but non-studded 45nrth dillinger 4s from my friend. I ordered 500 Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro studs and mounted them myself. In principle you don't need glue to keep the studs in place, but LiquiSole also helps in installation. I now have couple of hundred km with the new tires and they are amazing on ice. I couldn't believe the traction I get. But on the other hand, Bud/Vanhelga combo is much better on snow. Most likely will be moving back and forth between the two sets of tires this winter.



At least for now I will keep replacing broken and worn out parts and doing small upgrades rather than buying a new bike. This is my MN 2.0 and I love it.
"How can you smile while your legs are burning?" After 2015 Fatbike Birkie.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti